ALL TACTICAL PLATE CARRIER VESTS
PLATE CARRIERS GUIDE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a plate carrier, and how to choose the best one?
Plate carriers are a type of tactical bulletproof vest that can hold rifle plates and other equipment.
The first ones were designed in the 1930s by a Swiss company, and they have since been used for military purposes but not only.
More recently, tactical plate carriers have also been used as protective gear by law enforcement officers, SWAT teams, and emergency responders. Don’t worry – Civilians can wear them too!
Plate carriers are generally constructed of a durable fabric -typically made with nylon fabric and are designed to carry armor plates on the front and back, as well as in some cases side plates.
You should also consider buying an armor plate in addition to your plate carrier vest if you need additional protection against rifle fire.
A high-quality product will typically come with level III, Level III+ or Level 4 body armor plates that is able to stop rifle rounds up to .30-06 caliber.
This is one of the first questions you should ask before buying armor plate carriers. There are plenty of places that sell them, but you should always check your local laws and regulations first before purchasing one.
Some states have restrictions on what is considered body armor, so it’s important to be aware of the law in your area before ordering a carrier vest online or over the phone.
State laws can vary across different regions; for example, some areas restrict bulletproof vests while others allow them.
You also need to be aware if there are any federal restrictions on who can purchase and own this type of equipment.
They are legal in most countries and the U.S., but if you live in a country where they are not, it is best to check with both your local authorities as well as customs before traveling abroad to purchase one.
So you want to buy one of the carrier vests but don’t know what size or type would be appropriate for your needs. What should you do first?
Well, it’s important that you identify what exactly is needed from the vest and then tailor it accordingly.
There are many variables when choosing a carrier vest for your needs but one thing is sure – There’s no one right answer because everyone has different considerations in selecting their gear. However, we’ve compiled this list with some factors you might want to consider before making up your mind:
- What type of situation will you need it for? (workplace violence, active shooter, range day)
- How much money do you want to invest into a decent piece of equipment like this? The price can range anywhere between $80-$600 or more, depending on how high quality the vest is as well as its size.
- What is your weight and height?
- How much do you want to carry on your plate carrier duty gear? Is it just a single item or are other items also required such as handcuffs, pepper spray, etc.?
The rule of thumb when choosing any type of protective gear is that you should get the best quality equipment you can afford.
Remember, body armor is a serious investment and not something to be taken lightly! Here at Ace Link Armor, we carry many types of tactical vests, including various plate carriers bundled with armor plates – knowns as Body Armor Packages.
Gear up with top-of-the-line plate carrier vests and be prepared for anything!
The size of the plate carrier you need depends on how you will use it. For example, someone participating in a shooting competition will likely want a lightweight plate carrier carrying 10×12″ armor plates, designed for mobility and speed.
On the other hand, law enforcement officers will want to choose from more heavy-duty plate carriers with ballistic plates which offer protection against rifle rounds as well.
Most of the plate carriers will fit only 10×12″ and smaller plate carriers plate. If you need a bigger carriers plate to protect your torso, make sure you check Quadrelease Ultra for 11×14″ plates – these line plate carrier vests are capable of carrying SAPI XL armor plates of size u to 11×14″! Larger, 11×14″ armor tactical plate is recommended so there is more coverage over vital areas such as your abdomen and pelvis region.
There are a few different ways to find the best setup for your plate carrier. With either option, make sure to measure chest circumference accurately. This number will tell us which size should be perfect for most people’s needs.
For the best fit of plate carrier vests, follow these steps:
- Use an online sizing calculator on our product page. It will give you the accurate answer for your plate carrier sizing, or:
- Measure yourself and compare those measurements with all of our sizes, then choose the best one based on what is available at Ace Link Armor.
Once you’ve chosen one that fits your needs, it’s time to assemble it! If your kit includes a carrier, plates, and other parts then follow these steps:
- Insert the armor plates into your body armor gear and place one side of the front and back panels on either side of your body, making sure they are aligned with each other in a straight line. This will help you know that all parts are ready for assembly to proceed!
- Put your arms through the shoulder straps of your plate carrier vest so you can reach them easily when wearing a vest carrier over clothes. Bring the bottom two loops around from behind and up under both shoulders while ensuring that there’s enough length left for adjustment if needed. Make sure not to twist any straps during this process as it could cause discomfort.
- Now that the bottom loops are in place, you can adjust your shoulders traps to make sure the weight of the carrier and armor plates is distributed evenly.
Please remember that body armor provides protection only when the tactical plate or body armor plates are inserted!
There are many different brands available on today’s market but if we had to choose one we would go with Ace Link Armor because our products are durable enough for military use while still being affordable options for civilians in need of protection too.
Our choice for Top 10 best plate carriers in 2021.
- Quadrelease Plate Carrier
- Skeletac Plate Carrier
- Blackhawk Omega Elite Tactical Vest
- Crye Precision Adaptive Vest System (AVS)
- Condor Sentry
- Armor Express PC
- KDH SPCS TAC-1
- Crye Precision JPC 2.0
- Crye Precision AirLite SPC
- LBT Modular PC LBT-6094A
If by now you still haven’t been able to decide what type of armor would suit your personal style and need most, feel free to send us an email – our customer service will do their best to answer any questions you may have about armor carriers and tactical plate.
And don’t forget! When picking up a new carrier vest make sure they come equipped with body armor plates in plate pockets – otherwise there’s no point in even wearing them!